< Go Back
‘No court date yet for Malema’
24 Sep 2012
Sapa

JOHANNESBURG — A date and venue for ousted ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema’s expected court appearance has not been confirmed with his lawyer, she said yesterday.
“We have not received confirmation from authorities on a date or venue,” Malema’s lawyer, Nicqui Galaktiou told Sapa.
City Press reported that Malema was due to appear in the Polokwane Regional Court on Wednesday on fraud and money laundering charges.
The Sunday Times said he would appear in the dock, along with five individuals and four companies.
However, Galaktiou said that “even though the media have been publishing all this information”, his camp did not even know what charges Malema might face.
“We do not have charges,” she said.
An arrest warrant was issued for Malema on Friday.
The City Press reported earlier that Malema faced charges of money laundering, corruption and fraud relating to his Ratanang Family Trust and its shareholding in On-Point Engineering, a company that allegedly made millions from Limpopo government tenders.
On Sunday, National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Bulelwa Makeke refused to comment on a possible court appearance.
“Until he appears in court, then we can talk about it,” she said.
Yesterday, City Press reported that Public Protector Thuli Madonsela had found that Malema made his millions from a fraudulent tender. Although Madonsela could not find evidence that Malema interfered in the tendering process, she found that his Ratanang Family Trust benefited “improperly”, the newspaper reported.
This was according to a copy of Madonsela’s provisional report into the R52 million tender won by On-Point Engineers from the Limpopo roads and transport department.
Malema’s family trust was one of the two shareholders in On-Point.
According to City Press, Madonsela’s investigation also found that On-Point acted corruptly by signing back-to-back agreements with subcontractors.
Madonsela also proposed that the Master of the High Court investigate the flow of money into Malema’s trust, according to City Press.
The newspaper reported in another article that the SA Revenue Service (SARS) had obtained a R16 million judgment against Malema for unpaid taxes.
SARS spokesperson Adrian Lackay confirmed that the judgment was obtained in the high court in Pretoria on September 11.
He told the newspaper the amount included unpaid taxes, penalties and interest.
According to the report SARS was about to seize Malema’s property and assets in Gauteng and Limpopo.
Alan Lewis, a tax law consultant and advocate, told City Press the judgment showed two things: Malema had a “hell of a lot of money” and he was in deep trouble.



Search: Past Issues