Boxing: ‘The Rock’ off to New York
21 May 2013
JOHANNESBURG — Thabiso “The Rock” Mchunu, the sensational winner of last year’s innovative Super Eight cruiserweight tournament at Emperors Palace, will make his international boxing debut against seasoned American Eddie Chambers on a star-studded programme in New York on August 3.
This was announced yesterday by Showpony Promotions CEO Damian Michael, who said
Mchunu’s exploits had been noted with considerable interest in the U.S. and his fight against Chambers would be featured on an international TV programme.
“Thabiso is already ranked eighth in the world by the respected WBC organisation and ninth by the IBO,” said Michael.
“He has emerged as possibly South Africa’s biggest boxing drawcard as a result of his dynamic punching power.
“He is well equipped to go on to bigger things and win a world title — and even show he is the best in the world in his division in a unification decider.”
The 31 year-old Chambers, who boasted 36 victories from 39 bouts, was hailed as a future world champion after securing 35 victories from his first 36 fights, securing a heavyweight title challenge against Ukraine’s renowned champion Wladimir Klitschko in the process.
Although Chambers went the way of most of Klitschko’s challengers, he was only knocked out in the last few seconds of the 12th round — lasting much longer than most of the Ukrainian’s opponents.
Since then Chambers’s star has dimmed and he has had only two fights in the last two years — winning one of them and losing the other.
Michael believed he would be an ideal opponent for Mchunu at this stage because of his vast experience, while a victory over an opponent with Chambers’s reputation would further enhance the South African’s drawing power.